Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
June 27, 2019 – Blacks Harbour, NB
Investing in companies that are innovating to grow fosters a thriving middle class and opens the country to new economic, social and environmental possibilities. To this end, the Government of Canada is supporting Connors Bros. with investments in two projects that will enable the company to increase productivity, diversify its packaging options, and maintain jobs in a rural community.
Connors Bros. is updating its plant with a new packaging line and processing equipment. These upgrades support the company’s long-term modernization plan as it continues to make an extensive contribution to economic development in the Village of Blacks Harbour and throughout New Brunswick. The Government of Canada is providing contributions totalling $691,750 to support these projects.
Karen Ludwig, Member of Parliament for New Brunswick Southwest, joined Connors Bros. General Manager David Giddens to make the announcement today. MP Ludwig spoke on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA).
The Government of Canada is making smart investments that will create good, middle-class jobs in our country. Support for these projects is one way the Government of Canada is working to achieve its Atlantic Growth Strategy outcome of long-term economic prosperity in the region.
“Local businesses are critical to the growth, prosperity, and quality of life of their communities. Our government is committed to helping companies remain competitive and thrive in the global marketplace, and our investment in Connors Bros. will help it follow through with its modernization plan and grow the brand internationally.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for ACOA
“I’m thrilled to see our government’s support for Connors Bros., a company that has been so important to the community of Blacks Harbour, and to all of New Brunswick, for more than 125 years. The Government of Canada’s support for these projects reflect our commitment to drive economic growth in Atlantic Canada through strategic investments in local companies that help build communities, strengthen workforces, grow our economy, and create jobs.”
– Karen Ludwig, Member of Parliament for New Brunswick Southwest
“As part of our evolution, we continue to invest as a company into innovation and technology which allows us to produce the highest quality products for our customers around the world. That commitment to innovation www.acoa-apeca.gc.ca
and quality has kept us investing in this plant to ensure we remain a global leader in sardine production. In fact, in the last decade we’ve invested more than 40 million in modernization upgrades to ensure a competitive product for our customers and modern facilities for our employees.”
-David Giddens, General Manager, Connors Bros.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA, is providing $325,000 (repayable) for the purchase and installation of new processing equipment.
• ACOA is also contributing $366,750 toward the purchase and installation of a new packaging line.
• ACOA’s investments were made through the Business Development Program (BDP).
• The BDP primarily assists Atlantic Canadian entrepreneurs who want to start a business, increase productivity or improve operations.
• The Business Development Program continues to build on the objectives of the Innovation and Skills Plan, a multi-year strategy to create well-paying jobs for the middle class and those working hard to join it.
Contacts Jennifer Houle
Senior Communications Officer
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency